Search for Relatives of Crew of 102 Sqn Halifax JB848

Our main 102 Squadron forum

Moderator: JoeMarsh13071943

Search for Relatives of Crew of 102 Sqn Halifax JB848

Postby SimonK123 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:03 pm

Halifax JB848 G-George crashed at West Green Pocklington on March 29th 1943, all the crew were killed. Parts, including a Merlin engine, were found last year at West Green during the construction of a doctor’s surgery.

We are planning to provide a permanent memorial to the crew on the weekend of 102 (Ceylon) Squadron Association Reunion on May 9th/10th this year in Pocklington. We hope to raise some funds to carry this out.

I have been searching for relatives of the crew to tell them what is being proposed. I have traced relatives of Wilfred Comrie (pilot) and William Jenkins (B/A). I have also found a distant relative of Myles Squiers in the US but I believe they may be some in the UK.

I am still trying to trace the relatives of the following crew members:

Sgt William J McGrath RAFVR (1365664), Flight Engineer aged 23, of Glasgow. Buried Glasgow (St.Peter's) RC Cemetery. Grave Reference: Sec. 16. Grave 1126.
Son of James and Mary McGrath, of Glasgow.

F/O Douglas William Francis Harper RAFVR (127313), Navigator, aged 22, of Oadby, Leicestershire. Buried Barmby on the Moor Churchyard, Yorkshire. Grave Reference: Row F. Grave 8.
Son of William Francis and Rosina Harper, of Oadby, Leicestershire.

Sgt Frank William Dorrington RAFVR (1330802), Wireless Operator / Air Gunner, aged 23, of Brighton. Buried The Downs Cemetery, Brighton, Sussex. Grave Reference: Sec. C. Grave 178.
Son of Henry and Alice Dorrington (Leach), of Brighton.

Sgt John King RAFVR (1609738), Air Gunner, aged 21, of Poplar, London.
Buried East London Cemetery, Plaistow, Essex. Grave Reference: Grave 17571. (Screen Wall, Panel 9).
Son of James George and May Lillian King (Spurr), of Poplar, London.
Originally from the East End of London, John King had served in the Hampshire Police Force.

Sgt Myles Christian Campbell Squiers RAFVR (1478651), Air Gunner, aged 20, of South Africa, parents later of Gilgil, Kenya.
Buried Barmby on the Moor Churchyard, Yorkshire. Grave Reference: Row G. Grave 8.
Son of Herbert Goldsmith Squiers and Ethel Marguerite Squiers, of Gilgil, Kenya. Of South Africa.

I have carried out an intensive internet search and on Ancestry.com

The full story of this crew and the crash is here (I am in touch with Colin Stokoe):

http://www.102ceylonsquadron.co.uk/memWilfridComrie.html

I anybody would like to know what is being proposed, send me your email and I will forward a copy of our latest newsletter.

Can the members of this board help, or advise me, to help trace the relatives of these crew members and about fundraising for a memorial.

Thank you.

Simon Kularatne
Secretary
102 (Ceylon) Squadron Association
Email: skularatne AT aol D0T com
SimonK123

Re: Search for Relatives of Crew of 102 Sqn Halifax JB848

Postby SimonK123 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:29 pm

72 Years ago today (29th March 1943) Halifax JB848 DY-G of 102 Ceylon Squadron crashed on West Green Pocklington minutes after take-off at 21.59hrs.

The crew were:

WO2 Wilfred Phelps Comrie RCAF Pilot aged 27
Sgt William J McGrath RAFVR Flight Engineer aged 23
F/O William Hugh Jenkins RAFVR Bomb Aimer aged 34
F/O Douglas William Francis Harper RAFVR Navigator aged 22
Sgt Frank William Dorrington RAFVR Wireless Operator aged 23
Sgt John King RAFVR Air Gunner aged 21
Sgt Myles Christian Campbell Squiers RAFVR Air Gunner age 20

The aircraft hit the slipstream of another aircraft and the pilot narrowly avoided the town of Pocklington before the aircraft crashed, killing all on board.

The full story is here:
102ceylonsquadron.co.uk/memwilfridcomrie.html

Following the find of a Merlin engine and other aircraft parts on the site, a memorial is to be dedicated to the crew at 12 Noon on Saturday May 9th 2014 on the new Pocklington Surgery site, West Green, Pocklington.
We have traced five of the crew’s families and we are still looking for the families of Douglas Harper and William McGrath.

Simon
SimonK123

Return to Main Forum