F/Sgt David Band Robertson AG

Tells us all about yourself and your connection to 102 Squadron

Moderator: JoeMarsh13071943

F/Sgt David Band Robertson AG

Postby Robbo » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:32 pm

Hi to everyone
Just a quick note to introduce myself and my interest in the 102 Ceylon Squadron.
My name's Steve Robertson and my Uncle David was with 102 Squadron between 3rd Dec 1943 and 28th April 1944.
He was killed together with the rest of his crew on the night of 28th April 1944 when they were detailed along with 15 other Aircraft to attack the Marshalling Yards at Aulnoye (Northern France) They were flying in Halifax II JN 948. N.
His crew were:
128929 F/L A.L.Silverman, Pilot
151084 F/O R.J.Blake,Nav
1601171 Sgt. L.F.Webb, WO
1822851 Sgt. R.B.Russell, AG
1567775 Sgt. D.B.Robertson, AG
1384914 Sgt.R.E.Collier, ENG.
R161453 Sgt.J.R.McClelland, AB (RCAF)

The crew are all buried in Maubeuge-Centre-Cemetery which is about 5 miles N.East of Aulnoye

My other uncle (David's Brother) was a Radio Ham during the War and shortly after the War he was in touch with another Radio Ham in Maubeuge who kindly went to the Cemetery and took photos of the Graves. At this time the graves were marked with simple wooden crosses. ( I will scan the photos in the next couple of Days and post them on the Forum.
I look forward to participating in the forum and possibly hearing from anybody who may have information on any other members of David's Crew.
Regards
Steve
Robbo

Re: F/Sgt David Band Robertson AG

Postby SimonK123 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:08 pm

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for the pictures in the gallery section.

The pictures cast a light on graves immediately after the war before the headstones were erected.

Every single casualty was investigated by recovery teams who probably arranged for these crosses as they include the service number.

One of the gunners in my father's crew was identified only in 1948 by an Australian Recovery Team and re-interred in Berlin from Rostock where he was originally buried.

Have you any more photos of your uncle while he was on the Squadron?

Regards,

Simon

Simon Kularatne
Secretary
102 (Ceylon) Squadron Association.
SimonK123

Postby Robbo » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:16 am

Hi Simon
I have other photos of my Uncle but they all appear to be when he was training as none of them show his AG Brevet.
I was hoping that someone may have recognized one of the names in the Crew, possibly a family member who may also have had some photos.
It was in 1980 when I first carried out my research. I went to Kew and looked at the 102 Record books for 1943/44 and copied the details of each operation my Uncle was involved with.
I have the details of all 20 operations which I'd be glad to post if they would be of interest to anyone.
I also have the original letters from the 102 Sqd Association (Jack Sherwin / B.Sandall) when they were fund raising for the Memorial. ( I didn't realise it was so long ago,1984, until I dug out my old folder...
I had originally placed an appeal for information in the RAFA magazine "Air Mail" to see if anyone may have remembered my Uncle or any members of his crew.
I still haven't given up hope of being in contact with any of the families of his crew...
Kind Regards
Steve
Robbo

Postby Neilw » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:59 pm

Steve - I have had some successes tracing relatives via appeals in the relevant local papers and easiest route to find local towns is via the CWGC site

Cheers

Neil
Neilw

Postby Robbo » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:18 pm

Hi Neil
Thanks for the tip. I haven't tried this yet so perhaps this is my next step.
I'll keep the forum posted if I have any success
Best Regards
Steve
Robbo

Postby Neilw » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:40 pm

Just need a symapthetic reporter!

Good Luck

Neil
Neilw

Postby Neilw » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:44 pm

Just a thought but you maybe able to get Sgt McClelland details from the Canadian Archives at Ottawa

Neil
Neilw

Postby Robbo » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:11 pm

Hi Neil
I had a look on the CWG site today and found he came from Pembroke Ontario. I did some searching on line and found the Pembroke War Memorial and his name was there.
http://www.waymarking.com/gallery/image ... 948e&gid=3
I then found another site (Vetran Affairs) The Canadian Virtual War Memorial. This site has a form where you can add information and photos for anyone who is listed. I found Pilot Officer McClelland but was unable to upload the photo as it needs resizing. I'll get this done in the next couple of days and add the photo to they're site.
I also found out details of the rest of the crew, or at least where they originated from. The only one with no relatives or town listed was the Flt/Eng, Ronald Collier.
Looks like quite a bit of work ahead.
Best Regards
Steve
Robbo

Postby Neilw » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:25 pm

Good luck with your search - I've had some great responses but also a lot of no replies.......................

Cheers

Neil
Neilw

Return to Introduce Yourself