Remembrance Day at Pocklington 11th November

If you have questions concering the 102 Squadron Association, including reunion details, please post here.

Moderator: JoeMarsh13071943

Remembrance Day at Pocklington 11th November

Postby SimonK123 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:38 pm

Remembrance Day.
St Catherine’s Church, Barmby Moor
11th November 2012 10.45 am

‘Lest We Forget’

Members of 102 (Ceylon) Squadron Association will be attending St Catherine’s Church Barmby Moor for this years ‘Remembrance Service’. There will be a wreath laying at the Church Memorial after the service followed by a short service and wreath laying at the Pocklington Airfield Memorial.

All members and friends of the Association are welcome.

Mike Cummings and Tom Sayer have generously provided wreaths this year for Pocklington Town, St Catherine’s War Cemetery Memorial and for the airfield memorial. Members may also bring their own wreaths of course and they can be taken into church for the service to be laid before the altar before being placed on the respective memorials.

This year Mike will be attending Remembrance Day services at Fresnoy-la-Riviere, Oise, France. There are four 102 Squadron aircrew interned at this Church yard.

If you require further information please contact me at:
skularatneATaolDOTcom or tel: OI253 885 253

Regards,
Simon
Honorary Secretary
102 (Ceylon) Squadron Association
SimonK123

Re: Remembrance Day at Pocklington 11th November

Postby Bill Leyland » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:09 pm

Hi Simon, I left the wreaths at Chris Harpers. Can you collect or shall I?
Bill
Bill Leyland

Postby SimonK123 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:26 am

Hi Bill,

Spoke to Chris tonight and I am picking them up on Tuesday.

Thanks,

Simon
SimonK123

Postby SimonK123 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:51 pm

If anybody is planning to come to Pocklington for the Remembrance Service, can you please let me know numbers directly by email.

The Gliding Club are providing tea and coffee after the wreath laying at the airfield and it would be useful to provide approximate numbers.

Thanks very much,

Simon Kularatne
Honorary Secretary
102 (Ceylon) Squadron Association
Tel: OI253 885253
Email: skularatneATaolD0Tcom
SimonK123

Postby Neilw » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:12 pm

Simon - hope all went well, apologies had wanted to make it down this year but circumstances dictated otherwise

Neil
Neilw

Postby Bill Leyland » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:42 pm

Hi Neil. Just wanted post a comment about the day in honour of Simon. He and Tom Sayer did the 'honours' very well. Neither are used to performing this task, but both guys did the 102 chaps proud. There was a big local turn out at Barmby, and a smaller gathering at the airfield. Pock Post was there to capture it on camera so I'm sure Simon will record it well in the next news letter. Well done Simon and Tom.
Bill.
Bill Leyland

Postby SimonK123 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:07 am

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the message, sorry you could not make it. We were there to remember for you and all those members who could not make it.

Thanks Bill for the kind words. I have some good photos but your message has reminded me to chase up the Pocklington Post for some more. There will be a report in the next newsletter.

Since the reunion I have had first hand experience of all those in and around Pocklington and Barmby Moor who help the us to run these events. The help and support we receive from Gail Dalley, Pocklington Town Council and Wolds Gliding Club is quite exceptional and given without a second thought. I also made contact with Barmby Moor Parish Council Clerk & Chairman on this visit. Altogether a very gratifying day.

Simon
SimonK123

Postby Neilw » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:23 pm

Thanks Simon - and Bill, sounds a great day and a fitting tribute.

Cheers

Neil
Neilw

Return to Association Queries