Uniform, 102 Squadron 1943

Our main 102 Squadron forum

Moderator: JoeMarsh13071943

Uniform, 102 Squadron 1943

Postby haselden » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:11 pm

Can someone clear one little detail up for me...?!
My grandad,(102 Squadron..May-Oct 1943), was WOP/AG according to his R A F 543 form, and on his ORBs it shows him as WOP.
I have no picture (YET) of him in his R A F (blue) uniform just in his, what i can see to be, his tropial uniform/shirt with no markings on it.
I have been led to believe that the badge to the chest of his uniform would have been the one wing displaying WAG lettering.
Can anyone help as i will be having a tattoo to honour him in November and want to get it correct, for his memory !
Regards. Mark.
haselden

Re: Uniform, 102 Squadron 1943

Postby Bill Leyland » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:45 am

Hi Mark. I cannot be 100% sure about 1943, but my Uncle was a WOp/AG in 1944 and the WOps then attained an 'S' for Signals (or 'Sparks') brevet. He also had an 'AG' brevet, both single wings. Log on to the Flikr photo sharing site and search for 'Bob Leylands Brevets', my uncles actual brevets are there. Click on the photo and they will be magnified. I'm pretty sure the design will be the same as in 1943 - but don't quote me!
Pleased to help.
Bill
Bill Leyland

Postby haselden » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:13 am

Was he ground crew or air crew bill ...regards Mark
haselden

Postby Bill Leyland » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:49 pm

Aircrew Mark.
Bill Leyland

Postby haselden » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:07 pm

JUst wondered bill as there was a slight difference in their brevets I believe.
he WOP/AG insignia changed in 43 but only came into effect in Jan 44
Thank-you ...regards Mark.
haselden

Postby AndyMc » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:17 am

While their trade never really changed throughout the war, their name certainly did.

Wireless Operators or "WOP/AGs" as they were known, were the jack of all trades.

I believe they had about three different brevets. "S" for signallers, "AG" for Air Gunners..and one other....W/T or Wireless Telegraphers.....I think.

Basically they had a dual job....manning the Radios and supporting the gunners should one or other be wounded or worse...that's why they went to both wireless School and gunnery school.

They were often the unsung members of the crew..why I don't know....I'm researching a wireless Op that flew over 40 missions...all the other members of the crew were either decorated or commissioned....he wasn't but evidently he was good enough to put his life on the line like everyone else...he was killed in action just 4 weeks before the war ended.
AndyMc

Postby haselden » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:25 am

From what I've read Chris, several of the crew would understudy another trade in case !!
I've seen and been told about S ..though I've seen the sparks being clenched by a fist insignia that was worn on the right side of the uniform .
haselden

Postby Bill Leyland » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:28 pm

I believe the dual role aspect came in during thier Wellington days. In the Wellington there weren't dedicated air gunners, so the crew had to be adaptable and a wireless operator could leave his desk if needed. It is true they were very knowledgeable and were often refered to as a jack of all trades.
Bill.
Bill Leyland

Postby ChrisInBlackpool » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:20 pm

Dont forget that at the beginning of the war, as far as I have been told there were Observers, O I think was the letter they used.. or Obs.
Didn't they do more than one thing??
Leave you all to this thread.. not something I know a lot about.
For the memory of everyone who served with 102 Ceylon Squadron,
but mostly for the 1,027 in two World Wars who never came home.
Lest we never forget. http://www.102ceylonsquadron.co.uk
ChrisInBlackpool
Site Admin

Return to Main Forum