B.C. Memorial Tickets.

If you are looking for information on a member of 102 Squadron please place your enquiries here

Moderator: JoeMarsh13071943

B.C. Memorial Tickets.

Postby Bill Leyland » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:41 am

I thought it necessary to add this as a seperate thread to the 'Bomber Command Memorial' as that was getting a bit long winded. It is obvious that the B.C.A. only want to cater for it's own members, leaving everybody else scratching thier heads as to wether they will be welcome. The update is that you have to apply - in writing - to the following address;
Bomber Command Association
RAF Museum,
Grahame Park Way,
Hendon,
London,
NW9 5RR.
The confirmed date is 28th June 2012.
It was hoped that (if we could have had some questions answered sooner), we could have arranged a get together and a bit of catering for 102 associates, but the lack of cooperation between the two groups has meant it will now be unlikely (unless our Tom Wingham has something up his sleeve!). Things like this need prior planning and Chris Harper did his very best early on - but got no cooperation. So it is wait and see (again).
I personally will be applying for tickets for me and my wife Trish and booking a two night deal including rail with my local travel agent and staying near Regents Park and commuting by the tube.
Good Luck one and all.
P.S. Doug Radcliffe Head of the BCA has received a curt email from me stating that I believed the memorial to be for the B.C. boys who were lost, and that the people most devastated by these losses were/are the families/wives/girlfriends, and these are the very people who are being ignored.
Bill Leyland.
Bill Leyland

Re: B.C. Memorial Tickets.

Postby Neilw » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:32 pm

To be honest I always felt that there was never an attempt to make this exclusive to BCA members, In the letter I saw there was never any mention of the need to be a member of the BCA to apply. I believe that the BCA details became a vehicle for the distribution of information as no other database of addresses or contacts existed, and it was obviously succesful in that several thousand applications have already been received. I also believe that the Veterans who are active within BCA would work to ensure that it is not exclusive.

Whilst not offering this as a criticism I am aware that information from the BCA was disseminated by some other squadron associations via their newsletters etc and this meant that the message spread.

On the other hand it would have been useful if the organisers had taken Chris up on his offer to provide contact details.

I believe there is also some suggestion of an event for veterans on the evening previous but individuals should express an interest.

55 573 - Lest We forget

Neil
Neilw

Postby Bill Leyland » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:49 pm

The guest at the reunion who did the presentation about the memorial and its construction sowed the seed. He stated that NO veterans were going to be invited! Then Chris got the cold shoulder when he enquired. The BCA then told me they would email me info about the event, but never did. Chris' contacts abroad seemed to know more about it than us. Things looked a bit suspicious to say the least.
I think they need outside help to be honest. the BCA vets seem to be dealing with this on thier own. A few volunteers from a promotions company would have been very useful. Instead they have the team from that advert for Wonga.Com.
Bill Leyland

Postby Neilw » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:33 pm

Thanks Bill - wonder why someone would say that? seems very bizarre, as far as I was aware it was always made quite clear that Veterans were going to be invited and space was put aside for them - as said previously it seemed that this was clear from other associations and was certainly clear from the letter I saw.

Never did really understand the reaction to Chris' approach - maybe it was some misinformed member of staff?? however the main thing is that the message is out and people can still apply and there is the possibility of an evening event for the Verterans attending.

Neil
Neilw

Postby ChrisInBlackpool » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:20 pm

Just for the record... :) have contacted a further four 102 vets, and I'll let you guess how many of them knew they had to apply for an invite... HINT. not a big number...

I really do understand how I am coming across and heaven help me when anyone from BCA catches up with me... but as a good friend of mine keeps saying, 'It is what it is'.. and this is a shambles.. and there was no need for it to have been.

What is annoying me now the most is that no one can plan a journey to London, in June without some notice.. and especially if you happen to be ninty years of age or there abouts... and yet here we are in April, and they STILL DONT KNOW WHO IS GOING AND WHO ISN'T!!

If that's what BCA call good planning, then I'm an Irishman from Dublin.
For the memory of everyone who served with 102 Ceylon Squadron,
but mostly for the 1,027 in two World Wars who never came home.
Lest we never forget. http://www.102ceylonsquadron.co.uk
ChrisInBlackpool
Site Admin

Postby SimonK123 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:08 pm

For those who do not already know this info is on the BC Memorial website.

BOMBER COMMAND MEMORIAL DEDICATION
TICKET APPLICATIONS
Important Announcement:
Bomber Command Memorial Dedication and Unveiling 28th June 2012

Due to the very high demand for tickets, the hearteningly large number of veterans wishing and able to attend the event, and the many enquiries we receive every day, the Bomber Command Association dutifully announces a ‘final call’ for applications from relatives of the 55,573 who were killed serving in Bomber Command in World War Two and veterans of Bomber Command in World War Two for a further period until 20th April 2012.

If you wish to attend, have not contacted us and are a relative of the 55,573 or a veteran of Bomber Command, please contact Caroline Susan Coles at your very earliest convenience for an application form at:

Caroline Susan Coles
Bomber Command Association
RAF Museum
c/o Bomber Command Memorial
RAF Museum
Grahame Park Way
London
NW9 5LL
Tel: 020 8358 6422
Email: bomber.command.memorial@rafmuseum.org

We ask you to please take care in providing your full name and contact details including telephone numbers and email address as we have on occasion received messages sadly without any way of getting in touch.
We will write to all of the applicants for the Memorial event who have contacted us to date in the coming weeks requesting further information and providing more details. We have received several thousand applications to date and we can accommodate those that we have in either the Memorial enclosure or Salute areas.
SimonK123

Return to Main Enquiries