102 Squadron 'Nose Art'.

If you are looking for information on a member of 102 Squadron please place your enquiries here

Moderator: JoeMarsh13071943

102 Squadron 'Nose Art'.

Postby Bill Leyland » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:12 pm

Some of us here have been fascinated with the photos of DY-'P' depicting nose art of Popeye holding a bomb. Is there anybody associated with the squadron that has photos or information regarding nose art on any other Halifaxes on the squadron. My specific interest is in NA 504 -'Y', but any info on 102s planes will be welcome.
Cheers, Bill.
Bill Leyland

Re: 102 Squadron 'Nose Art'.

Postby Dave LEITHEAD » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:23 pm

Hi Bill,
SimonK123 has very kindly sent me this item from Flickr, which includes Nose Art from JD127 DY-U "Charley's Aunt", in response to my post re LW331 DY-D in the Plane Talk section.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jylascurain/4261360903/

Unfortunately, the original image on Flickr is inverted. I've managed to download it to Windows Photo Gallery and rotate it, but I can't then manage to copy it to this post so I will email it to you direct and perhaps you will be able to transfer it to the 102 website.
Simon tells me that this aircraft narrowly missed the Watch Tower on take-off in August 1943 and that it was flown by Wg/Cdr Marchbank who relates the story of the crash in the book "It's suicide but it's fun".
Hope this is of interest. Sorry it's not NA504 DY-Y ..... still looking for that one.
Cheers,
Dave.
Dave LEITHEAD

Postby Dave LEITHEAD » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:00 pm

Hi Bill,

Me again with another couple of examples of Nose-Art for your collection. I've just been looking at Harold Brabin's page in the Memories section and in his book "Diary of a Wag" (which you can access from his page) on page 37 last paragraph he says:
"Our brand new aircraft was "N" for Nan, and we had Merle Oberon doing a Can-Can painted on the side. A picture of a bomb was painted each time we did a trip. At the end of the War there were 90 bombs."
"N" for Nan was a Halifax Mk3. Unfortunately there's not a photo, just the above description.

There's also some Nose-Art on a photo on page 62 but I can't make out the detail .... "The Flying ___ " --- Cat?

You are probably already aware of the references to Bob Leyland on pages 65 and 105.

Cheers, Dave.
Dave LEITHEAD

Postby Bill Leyland » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:53 am

Well spotted Dave! I hadn't read Harold Brabins diary till you prompted me, what an amazing account. It is totally contempary with my uncles time on the squadron and I am pleased he listed him and the other WOps in the losses.
Thanx for being so observant!
Regards,
Bill.

P.S. I think the nose art you mention says The Flying Scot. The image looks to be a guy in a kilt holding a gun. Not sure what the circle represents.
Bill Leyland

Return to Main Enquiries