G'day all.

Tells us all about yourself and your connection to 102 Squadron

Moderator: JoeMarsh13071943

G'day all.

Postby Doug » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:26 am

My name is Doug Yoole. I live in a small town on the mid-north coast of NSW Australia. My connection to the squadron is via my grandfather Sgt Douglas Jack who served with the squadron in 1941. He and his crew were lost late in that year when their aircraft was shot down over the North Sea.
I've long been interested in the squadron's history, but most particularly since Harold Batchelder DFM mentioned my grandfather in the TV documentary "The Air War over Germany". Fortunately for me, I surfed into this site whilst doing some research on Mr Batchelder.
I am also a keen student of the life of the great aviator and humanitarian Leonard Cheshire VC.
I extend my compliments to the webmaster Chris and all other contributors. It is a wonderful thing you have done here; A great site and a great memorial.
Doug.
Doug

Re: G'day all.

Postby ChrisInBlackpool » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:34 am

Dear Doug, and family

A most wonderful welcome to you Doug, I am actually so thrilled to think that one day soon we might actually be speaking on Skype.. really can not wait.

I have your Grand father's page in my 'To Do' list and I am sure that we will be able to give him a page to be proud of.

I must ask you about this documentary though that I have never heard of or seen. We have to add this to the list of things to watch concerning 102, and I was wondering if you could give us some idea who made the program and when it was made???

Hope you enjoy your time here, please do join in with any conversation and as far as good old LC is concerned.. well he is such a legand that I actually don't even have a page for him! I have no idea how to get in contact with any family members, and every photo of him is copyrighted.. Maybe one day I can do something.. cause we really should have a least a page..

Kindest regards to you Doug

Chris
For the memory of everyone who served with 102 Ceylon Squadron,
but mostly for the 1,027 in two World Wars who never came home.
Lest we never forget. http://www.102ceylonsquadron.co.uk
ChrisInBlackpool
Site Admin

Postby Doug » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:28 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk09y5KN
"Germany's War - The Air War over Germany (2/4)" 7 minutes in.
This is not a very good copy of the film. I have a far better, and complete one in a folder in my documents file. I am not "computer literate" enough to know whether or not I can email it to you tho! I'll look into it.
Doug.
Doug

Postby Doug » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:20 pm

Ah! Found a better one:
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=96e_1190058247
Part 3 of 5
Doug

Postby Bill Leyland » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:35 pm

Hi Doug, welcome. If you find anymore films like that please add em on! Good on ya for looking into these guys lives.
Regards, Bill.
Bill Leyland

Postby Doug » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:20 am

Thankyou Bill. I most certainly will share anything I find with yourself and the other members here. I look forward to further conversation with you on this excellent site.
Doug

Return to Introduce Yourself