Hello from Dave

Tells us all about yourself and your connection to 102 Squadron

Moderator: JoeMarsh13071943

Hello from Dave

Postby Dave LEITHEAD » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:33 pm

Hi Folks, I’m Dave Leithead and I am researching F/Lt Thomas Leithead DFM.
Thomas was a Wireless Operator with 102 Squadron for only 7 weeks from 9th January 1944 until he was killed in action in the early hours of 26th February 1944.
I will be posting pleas for further information on Thomas, his crew and his aircraft LW331 DY-D in the Main Enquiries and Plane Talk sections.
When I retired three years ago I began research on LW331 with a view to building a “tribute” model. Any other Forum members built tribute models of 102 Sqn aircraft?
I have always had a keen interest in aircraft and was fortunate during the 1990’s to fly as a passenger on a regular basis with a pilot friend in his Cessna 150H, clocking up 170 hours. We never actually landed at Pocklington but overflew it on at least one occasion.
I have not yet been able to establish that Thomas and I share a common ancestry, although with such an unusual surname it would seem more than likely. Nevertheless, I am dedicated to honouring and keeping alive the memory of this brave man.
Huge thanks to Tom Wingham DFC and Chris Harper for the wonderful work they do.
Looking forward to sharing my research with you all, and hopefully a two way exchange of information.
Dave.
Last edited by Dave LEITHEAD on Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave LEITHEAD

Re: Hello from Dave

Postby Bill Leyland » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:49 am

Hi Dave and welcome. I hope you get a result on here on Thomas but don't be dissapointed if you don't. You've revived his memory already. Good luck. Bill.
Bill Leyland

Postby Dave LEITHEAD » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:35 pm

Hello Bill,
Many thanks for your welcome, and for all the help you have given me so far.
Cheers,
Dave.
Dave LEITHEAD

Postby ChrisInBlackpool » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:12 pm

Hi Dave

Firstly so very sorry for not getting back to your many emails, I have around 200 now that I am slowly working my way through, if I work on the site for 2 hours every day, I have about 6 months work in front of me as of today...

I will add Thomas's page to the 'things to do' pile, and I hope that by the end of next week I will have been able to add at least the information you have already managed to obtain about him.

As others have already said, well done you for doing such a wonderful job, hopefully now we can get all this info onto our site and Thomas can gain his place amongst the many airmen (and women) who are commemorated here.

All the best for now...

Chris
For the memory of everyone who served with 102 Ceylon Squadron,
but mostly for the 1,027 in two World Wars who never came home.
Lest we never forget. http://www.102ceylonsquadron.co.uk
ChrisInBlackpool
Site Admin

Postby Dave LEITHEAD » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:48 pm

Hi Chris,

Many thanks for your welcome, and absolutely no apology from you is necessary.

I had to smile when I read the first paragraph of your post ...... I couldn't remember sending you 200 emails, and I must point out for the benefit of other Forum members that I was only responsible for sending you 12 of the 200 !! I must confess that I did not at first fully realise what you were going through, and my enthusiasm for the research got the better of me. It is I who should apologise.

Chris, is there anything that I can do to ease the 102 Sqn workload currently on your shoulders?
For example, I could sort out which of my emails to you can now be deleted, and I could prepare the draft for Thomas's page based on what I have already posted, but just tidied up a bit, and email it to you. Just say the word. There's no urgency for Thomas's page anyway .... I'm hoping to add more details in the coming weeks from the ORB's and his Service Record, so the page can be put on the back burner for a couple of months if that would help you. Will I be able to edit his page once it is posted to add new information, photos etc or does it all have to be done through you?

Huge thanks again to you Chris for creating this wonderful website which enables us all to keep alive and honour the memory of all the brave members of 102 Squadron many of whom, like F/Lt Thomas Leithead DFM and his crew, made the ultimate sacrifice.

Looking forward to a chat on the phone, and hopefully to meeting you later in the year.

Cheers,
Dave.
Dave LEITHEAD

Return to Introduce Yourself