102 Squadron LW159

Tells us all about yourself and your connection to 102 Squadron

Moderator: JoeMarsh13071943

102 Squadron LW159

Postby leslie » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:47 am

Hello, My interest in the 102 Squadron is P/O Leslie Clifford Potter. He was my fathers first cousin. My grandmother and his mother where sisters.I grew up as a child with stories about Leslie who was shot down over France and was buried there. I was born not long after WW2 and was named after him.In 2008 I visited his grave site In France. Most of the family are all gone now, only us baby boomers left.
I was very pleased to find this site and to see the memory of all those young men who died will live on for future generations to see.
leslie

Re: 102 Squadron LW159

Postby Bill Leyland » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:28 pm

Hi Leslie, pleased to meet you. I'm Bill Leyland and my uncle was on the same operation to Blainville, as a wireless operator. He survived this one but was killed a month later. If you go to 'memories' then 'crew lists' you will see Leslie Potters crew and the others that were lost that night 28/6/1944.
Glad to have you aboard.
Bill

P.S. Chris has included phot's of the crewmens graves on the pilots page.
Bill Leyland

Postby leslie » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:20 pm

Thanks Bill.I have been to the cemetry in Couerves-et Valsary where the crew are buried, it is a very peaceful out of the way village in a rural setting. Does aAyone know exactly where they came down during that operation. I found more information on this site than anywhere else, apart from what I remember his parents saying. I know they had regular contact with people in the village who tended the graves.I believe these same people attended the crash site on the night.
leslie

Postby Bill Leyland » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:26 pm

All I know, I got from William Chorleys 'Bomber Command Losses 1944', and he stated they came down in the town were they lie buried, after being shot up by a night fighter causing LW 159 DY-Q to explode. The locals will certainly know were the wreckage came down. I suggest you track down the Mayor of Couervres-et Valsery and ask him what he knows. Have a look at my uncles story if you want to read about the other guys who were lost on this mission. Go to the crew page and click on L then select 'Robert Leyland'. Scroll down to his missions and you will see the other guys, and the other missions the 102 lads were flying on during this time.
Regards.
Bill.
Bill Leyland

Return to Introduce Yourself