102 in later years.

Tells us all about yourself and your connection to 102 Squadron

Moderator: JoeMarsh13071943

102 in later years.

Postby Joe Thorboy » Mon May 21, 2012 8:52 pm

Hi to all. I was a member of 102 Squadron at Full Sutton in the early 60s when we were equipped with Thor nuclear missiles - the time of the Cuba crisis - I am aware of how close we got to total annihilation and that "102" plyed its part in preventing a holocaust - it got close!!!. I joined the 102 Squadron Association some years since, not realising that members were ALL from the Halifax days at Pocklington et al. Was delighted to meet Chris and see the 102 Squadron stall at the RAFA Annual Conference at Blackpool last week. Wonder if we could (in some way) recruit members of the 102 (Strategic Missile) Squadron and hope fully continue to maintain the historic achievments of those who flew and serviced the Halifax in the '40s. Regards and good wishes to all. Joe Froggatt.
Joe Thorboy

Re: 102 in later years.

Postby SimonK123 » Tue May 22, 2012 5:10 pm

Hi Joe,

Welcome to the forum. It was great to meet you and your wife at the RAFA Conference. I can tell you that meeting you was a highlight for Chris and myself.

We are aware that we have not covered the Canberra and Thor periods of the squadrons activities and hope we can gather more information from people like yourself.

Don't forget to write up your unique experiences during the Cuban missile crisis and your subsequent visit to Cuba. I know Chris would love to put it on the website.

Regards,
Simon
SimonK123

Re: 102 in later years.

Postby ChrisInBlackpool » Wed May 23, 2012 12:33 am

Hey Joe,

Great to have you here with us on the forum, welcome!

Ditto to everything that Simon has said, I honestly thought I was going mad when I looked on your blazer and saw the 102 Squadron Emblem.. 'I mean could it really be'... I thought.. :D

Really do hope we see you and the good lady in July, would be wonderful to have you with us.

Look forward to getting all your writings and by the way.. if you want to post that poem here, in the forum, by all means go ahead.. I'm sure everyone would love it..

Cheers

Chris
For the memory of everyone who served with 102 Ceylon Squadron,
but mostly for the 1,027 in two World Wars who never came home.
Lest we never forget. http://www.102ceylonsquadron.co.uk
ChrisInBlackpool
Site Admin

Return to Introduce Yourself