Bomber Command Clasp application can you help?

Our main 102 Squadron forum

Moderator: JoeMarsh13071943

Bomber Command Clasp application can you help?

Postby SimonK123 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:36 pm

Now is the time for all good men and women to come to the aid of the party

With issue of the Bomber Command clasp and the Arctic Convoy's medal there are a number of very elderly veterans and widows out there who may need some help to apply for the clasp. They will get priority followed by next of kin.

Can I suggest that if any readers of this forum know a potential recipient they might consider downloading the application form and helping them to complete and send it in as soon as possible.

The application form is now had its protection removed and can be downloaded, filled in and printed out. You should ensure that the form printed out and signed before it is emailed.

Some words of warning:

1. You should not cold call anyone. If you do not know them personally you should take a person with you known to the veteran or widow you are going to see.

2. Please exercise tact and appropriate respect when dealing with people who are now very elderly and may not be that familiar with you.

3. Make sure you only make promises you can keep.

4. If you offer to help, it may be refused as they may not want the intrusion, in which case their views should be respected.

I know a few veterans and widows who do not wish to discuss Bomber Command matters. This may be due either to personal feelings or being bothered by researchers asking detailed questions about events which happened 60 years ago they cannot now remember.

5. You may just need to put a copy of the application form in the post or through the door.

Having said all that, if you get the opportunity to help you may well receive a warm welcome and end up making a firm friend which I am sure will be appreciated.

This also applies of course to veterans and widows connected with the Arctic Convoys.

I will be sending a copy of the application form to our members with the next 102 (Ceylon) Squadron Association newsletter this month.

So go to it folks, lets make a difference and get these clasps and medals awarded as soon as possible, they have waited long enough.

Carpe diem before it’s too late.

Simon

Simon A Kularatne
Honorary Secretary
102 (Ceylon) Squadron Association
SimonK123

Re: Bomber Command Clasp application can you help?

Postby Neilw » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:29 pm

Great idea and useful advice Simon - have pretty much been in touch with those I know but should anyon need help in the North East UK happy to help if wanted.

Neil
Neilw

Re: Delayed issue of the Bomber Command Clasp

Postby SimonK123 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:48 pm

I wrote to my MP, Mark Menzies, in September about the length of time Bomber Command Clasps (BCC) are taking to process for members if 102 (Ceylon) Squadron.

I have this week received a reply this week from Lord Astor (under Secretary of State at the Ministry of Defence) as follows:

"Officials have confirmed that all eligble veterans who have applied for the BCC have now been issued with their BCC. It is planned that the majority of Bomber Command Clasps will be issued by the end of 2013 to surviving spouses where applications were received prior to 1st September 2013. It is too early to say when all applications from other next of kin received will be processed. However the first awards were despatched on 24th September 2013.

If Mr Kularatne is aware of any veterans who have nort received a response to their application, he should write to the Medal Office at the address below with their names and service numbers and they will investigate these cases.

MOD Medal Office
Service Personnel and Veterans Agency
Imjin Barracks
Gloucester
GL3 1HW

I hope this letter explains the position.

Lord Astor of Hever DL"

I am concerned that some veterans are waiting to be contacted just like some were for invitations to the BC Memorial dedication in Green Park. Of course there is no central list. The April edition of the Association Newsletter did have the application forms attached for our members but there may be others.

Please let me know if you find any veterans who have not received their clasps. Likewise veterans or spouses who have not yet applied for the clasp.

Simon Kularatne
Honorary Secretary
Tel Ol253 885253
Email skularatneATaolDOTcom
SimonK123

Return to Main Forum